Permanent Collection

  • 1893
  • Height: 5 x 8 in.
  • Photograph

The original Lafayette Street (today Kennedy Boulevard) swing bridge opened on November 28, 1888. A designated pedestrian path is on both edges of the bridge. This civic improvement is one of Plant’s lasting legacies. The power plant that he built, identified by its 140-foot tall smokestack, provided electricity for the hotel.

historic photo of bridge over Hillsborough River. Hotel in background, large smokestack on far right near river.

Images may not be copied or reproduced without permission of the HB Plant Museum.  High resolution scans are available for purchase.

Accession number: 1995.012.043