- Height: 5 x 8 in.
The original gate was less ornate. The New York Times reporter William Drysdale wrote in 1891 that it was “formed from long palmetto trunks driven into the ground and rustic gates” and tall sabal palms stood on either side. In 1893, the original “rustic” gate was replaced with distinctive ironwork. J. D. Givens photographed this group of tourists standing before the gates during the winter season of 1897-1898.
Images may not be copied or reproduced without permission of the HB Plant Museum. High resolution scans are available for purchase.
Accession number: 2008.007.001