- Height: 5 in.
Prior to 1888, a ferry was the only means to cross the Hillsborough River. With the expectation of future development on the west side of the river, Plant agreed to build the hotel if the Tampa Board of Trade built a bridge spanning the waterway. This 1889 photograph by prominent photographer J. C. Field shows the original swing bridge and the hotel under construction.
Accession number: 2006.016.001