- March 1889
- Height: 5.5 x 9 in.
The cornerstone for the hotel was laid July 26, 1888, with great fanfare. Tampa Mayor Herman Glowgowski and other notable public officials attended the event. This early photograph, dated March 1889, shows the scaffolding around the minarets under construction at the north end of the building. Skilled craftsmen included carpenters, plasterers, electricians, plumbers, bricklayers, and construction workers from across the country who traveled to Tampa to work on this project.
Images may not be copied or reproduced without permission of the HB Plant Museum. High resolution scans are available for purchase.
Accession number: 2006.016.002