The Henry B. Plant Museum
held a one-day juried art show on October 27th to celebrate Henry Plant's 199th birthday. In his home and in his hotels, Henry surrounded himself with beautiful works of art of all mediums. To honor his legacy, the Museum hosted a one-day only exhibition of new art inspired by the visionary railroad and steamship magnate Henry Bradley Plant. Artists from the Tampa Bay area (Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Sarasota counties) were invited to submit one piece of visual art that reflects one of the many aspects of Henry’s life. The work may be in any style, as long as the topic is based on or evokes the spirit of Henry’s extraordinary accomplishments, his impact on the development of Florida, his transportation empire the Plant System, his grand resort hotels, or his legacy.
The art was displayed in the historic Music Room of the former Tampa Bay Hotel on Saturday, October 27, 2018 in honor of Henry’s 199th
Birthday. The panel of judges, composed of Cynthia Gandee Zinober, Executive Director of the Henry B. Plant Museum; Lynn Whitelaw, retired former director of Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art and Kathy Durdin, President of Tampa Regional Artists and Director of Operations for the Florida Watercolor Society, reviewed the submissions. The judges selected the top five works that represented Henry’s life and/or accomplishments. Visitors will had the opportunity to cast their vote for the People’s Choice designation.
Recognition for winning artists and their work
- George Landon: selected for the artist’s connection between the history of Tampa and the Tampa Bay Hotel’s impact upon Tampa
- Irwin Schuster: selected for the artist’s research and attention to detail
- Joanna Karpey: selected for the artist’s statement of a personal connection to an iconic piece of the Tampa Bay Hotel
- Yacu B. Malik: selected for the artist’s use of color and impact
- Holly Cliff: an “innovative” piece that captured the mystique of the Tampa Bay Hotel grounds at night
- Receive a 1-year membership to the Museum
- Featured on the Museum’s social media and website platforms
- Displayed at the Museum on Member’s Day during the Christmas Stroll
- Receive the distinction of being published in a Limited Edition Celebrating Henry postcard series sold exclusively in the Museum Store
- Must be an original work of visual art of any style (no electrical or video formats).
- Theme must relate to Henry Plant or the Plant System of railroads, steamship, or hotels.
- Artist must be able to bring, set up, display, and remove work on Sat., Oct. 27, 2018.
- Works must be freestanding or able to be displayed on stands or easels. They cannot be attached to walls.
- Works must be able to translate to online and printed formats should it win recognition.
- Art must be no larger than 2’ x 3’ x 3’ and not exceed 40 lbs.
- One submission per artist.
- Entry fee of $5 (cash or checks made payable to the Henry Plant Museum, fee waived for Museum members).