The Henry B. Plant Museum
invites artists of all ages and levels of experience to help commemorate Henry Plant’s 199th
birthday with a celebration of art. In his home and in his hotels, Henry surrounded himself with beautiful works of art of all mediums. To honor his legacy, the Museum will host a one-day only exhibition of new art inspired by the visionary railroad and steamship magnate Henry Bradley Plant.
Artists from the Tampa Bay area (Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Sarasota counties) are invited to submit one piece of visual art that reflects one of the many aspects of Henry’s life. The work may be in any style, as long as the topic is based on or evokes the spirit of Henry’s extraordinary accomplishments, his impact on the development of Florida, his transportation empire the Plant System, his grand resort hotels, or his legacy.
The art will be displayed in the historic Music Room of the former Tampa Bay Hotel on Saturday, October 27, 2018 in honor of Henry’s 199th
Birthday. The panel of judges, composed of Cynthia Gandee Zinober, Executive Director of the Henry B. Plant Museum; Lynn Whitelaw, retired former director of Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art and Kathy Durdin, President of Tampa Regional Artists and Director of Operations for the Florida Watercolor Society, will review the submissions. The judges will select the top five works that represent Henry’s life and/or accomplishments. Visitors will have the opportunity to cast their vote for the People’s Choice designation.
Recognition for winning artists and their work
- Receive a 1-year membership to the Museum
- Featured on the Museum’s social media and website platforms
- Displayed at the Museum on Member’s Day during the Christmas Stroll
- Receive the distinction of being published in a Limited Edition Celebrating Henry postcard series sold exclusively in the Museum Store
Timeline - Deadline Extended!
- Must be an original work of visual art of any style (no electrical or video formats).
- Theme must relate to Henry Plant or the Plant System of railroads, steamship, or hotels.
- Artist must be able to bring, set up, display, and remove work on Sat., Oct. 27, 2018.
- Works must be freestanding or able to be displayed on stands or easels. They cannot be attached to walls.
- Works must be able to translate to online and printed formats should it win recognition.
- Art must be no larger than 2’ x 3’ x 3’ and not exceed 40 lbs.
- One submission per artist.
- Entry fee of $5 (cash or checks made payable to the Henry Plant Museum, fee waived for Museum members).
- September 24 - Artists submit Artists Information Form with picture of work (completed or in progress) to the Museum. Entry fee payment due. Image does not need to be high resolution.
- October 3 - Artists will be notified by email that their entry has been selected for display and jurying on October 27.
- October 26 – Deliver art to the Music Room, Plant Hall at The University of Tampa* 3:00-5:00 PM
- October 27 – Deliver art to Music Room, Plant Hall at The University of Tampa* 8:00-10:00 AM; 10 AM voting opens to the public and judges, 4 PM the top 5 selected and winners announced, art pick up 5-6 PM
For more details, visit plantmuseum.com or contact Heather Trubee Brown, email@example.com or 813.258.7304, or Scott Simpson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 813.258.7307 with questions.
Click here for the artist information form.
Please submit completed form to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The museum assumes no liability for damaged, lost or stolen work.